Who doesn’t love a crazy tie die shirt in the summer?! Now you can make some on the cheap and include the kiddos! This Tie Dye DIY uses only food coloring to dye your shirt. No need to buy any expensive ingredients or use any nasty chemicals!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Food coloring
- White vinegar
- White t-shirt (or whatever other clothing item you choose)
- 2 empty water bottles, or more if you want more than two colors!
- a push pin
- a rubber band
- a large soup pot
- a towel to lay stuff out on
Let’s get started!
- Put 16 ounces of your white vinegar into your big soup pot.
- Add 16 ounces of water to your pot.
- Submerge your shirt in the pot.
- Wring your shirt out and lay it flat on your towel.
- Find the center of your shirt and begin twirling it in. It doesn’t have to be perfect, and really you can make your swirls anywhere in the shirt, not just the middle, so get creative!
- Once your’e all swirled, wrap a rubber band around your swirl to keep it together.
- Now take your empty water bottles and put about 3-4 ounces of water in each one.
- Use your push pin and poke some holes in the top of your water bottles.
- Add a bunch of your food coloring into each bottle, the more you add the more vibrant the colors.
- Gently swirl your bottles to mix the dye.
- Get your big pot back out and empty it. You will use this to place under your shirt while you pour dye on it.
- Start squeezing your dye out of your bottles over your shirt.
- Wrap your shirt in plastic wrap, or even in a plastic shopping bag.
- Let it sit for 8 hours!
- Get a big bowl of ice water and a couple teaspoons of salt to it and dip your rolled shirt into it.
- Take it out and wring it out. Let it sit and dry.
Now you are done!! Enjoy your awesome tie dye!
- Be careful to wash it alone for the first couple of washes, as your colors might bleed a bit!